Monday, May 11, 2015

Blue Door Inn


Click on Title to View Painting Online

More fun came during last weekend's class at the art center with Michael Reardon. I worked on this tiny watercolor of Mendocino's Blue Door Inn from a photo I'd taken and tried to treat the mass of trees as one large shape against the shaded white house. Even though Mendocino is so familiar to me, there is always a surprise waiting for me at different times of day and different times of the year. The late sun has to be my favorite lighting condition and I hope you like this example of that as well.


Our dear friend of 40 years, Mort

Today's portrait of Mort 7.5x8 pencil and colored pencil

After a great weekend away with both our moms, we had overnight guests that have been friends forever, Mort and Mary. I asked Mort to sit for our portrait group since he'd celebrated his 80th birthday last month and I thought it would be a neat time to create a small personal work of art. He suffered through the 2 hours and managed to finish smiling, something I tried to capture a bit better than in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment