Monday, August 13, 2012

That Time of Year



Those of you that either live on, or visit the coast regularly know that August is the month that the Amaryllis Belladonna makes its appearance. You might also know that the more common name on the street is "Naked Ladies". They pop up randomly and in the most unlikely of locations and really lift our spirits, especially since we see a lot of fog in August as well. This day was no exception as the sky was almost the same hue as the lit edges of the petals. You can see the Savings Bank in the background, with the sculpture atop called "Time and the Maiden", though I haven't attended to their details like I have the flowers.

1 comment:

  1. You gave a wealth of info on this picture's post today - I always call those flowers "Naked Ladies"...I knew they were officially an amaryllis, but I didn't know the second part: Belladonna. Thanks for that info. They are some of my FAVORITE flowers - have tried twice to grow them in this HARDPAN ground that we are one, but the first batch was sprayed w/ Roundup by our landlord - I have NO idea WHY!! I was SO TICKED - had planted at least 12 bulbs!! The second time, the gophers got them. Now I have ONE that just came up.....we'll see what happens w/ it.
    I also didn't know what that Mendocino statue was called on top of that bldg, and now I do!

    ReplyDelete